As with the basic premise of the Dagorhir Game Rules System, common sense supersedes perceived loopholes in these Bylaws.
Simple Majority Standard
- Unless otherwise specified, a simple majority is required for all votes presented in these bylaws.
- Leadership shall consist of the following governing bodies:
- Board of Directors
- War Council
- No member may serve on more than one governing body at one time, with the exception of the Magistrate, who will serve on both.
- Elections to the board shall be held in May.
- Any candidate running for the position of President must submit a business plan in writing to the War Council no later than the date of the elections. This business plan should cover a period of not less than two years, beginning Althyng of the year submitted, and should be revised and updated every year. Business plans shall address both strategic goals and specific actions to achieve those goals.
- A Board member’s elected term is one year beginning on August 1.
- Any candidate who runs unopposed shall assume office beginning on August 1.
- Board members may seek re-election during their term.
- An elected Board member may voluntarily resign from office before the end of their term.
- The War Council may remove an elected Board member from office if dereliction is discovered. Removal of a Board Member requires a 3/4 majority vote of the War Council.
- Holding office or having a voting position in a competing padded weapons combat organization represents a conflict of interest with the Aratari and the Dagorhir Battle Game Association. A Dagorhir participant with a conflict of interests may not hold elected office in the Dagorhir Battle Game Association, and may not attend meetings of the Aratari War Council.
- Leadership shall consist of the following governing bodies:
- The Board of Directors:
- The Board consists of five elected officials referred to hereafter as Board Members: President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Magistrate. In addition, Brian Wiese, as Founder of Dagorhir and holder of the copyrights to the Dagorhir Game Rules, is given review and veto power over rules changes.
- The Board shall be responsible for the conduct of the organization, the planning of activities, and the maintenance of the bylaws.
- The Board shall review all new game rules and rule changes proposed by the War Council. All new game rules and rule changes must be approved or vetoed by a majority vote of the Board.
- The Board shall meet as business dictates, but never less than once every three months.
Any Board Member unable to attend a session may send a proxy representative in his/her place. However, the substitute may only present ideas and take notes for the elected official. The substitute is not allowed to vote.
- 4/5 of the Board Members must be present for a quorum to exist, for it to legally take any action.
- The President or Vice-President may convene an emergency meeting if conditions requiring such exist.
- Organization membership and financial records are to be present for open inspection at all Board meetings. The Magistrate may bring this information to War Council meetings if requested.
- The Board may by a 4/5 vote create or eliminate Board Advisory positions and assign individuals to those positions. Advisors may only present ideas to the Board and will not be allowed to vote.
- The Board of Directors:
The President’s responsibilities and authority are as follows:
- Delegating authority and the forming of activity committees.
- Maintenance of the Dagorhir hotline.
- Maintenance of the Dagorhir website.
- Public liaison with outside officials.
- Liaison with other reenactment and wargaming organizations, including serving as a representative to other Dagorhir groups, including the Ragnarok War Council.
- Promoting awareness of Dagorhir as an organization.
- Final interpretation of Dagorhir rules.
- Preparation of Board meeting agendas.
The Vice-President’s responsibilities and authority are as follows:
- Represent the President in his/her absence.
- Collection and maintenance of the organization’s equipment (i.e., first aid kits, rental equipment and costumes, etc.)
- The Vice-President may delegate this authority as the Vice-President sees fit.
- Advertising and recruitment efforts on behalf of Dagorhir Battle Games Association, Inc./Dagorhir Aratari.
The Secretary’s responsibilities and authority are as follows:
- Maintenance of the organization’s membership and attendance records.
- Collection of waiver forms.
- Recording the minutes at Board meetings.
- Publication and distribution of the organizations’ rule books, supplements, periodicals, announcements, advertisements, and recruitment flyers.
The Treasurer’s responsibilities and authority are as follows:
- Payment of debts incurred by the organization.
- Collection of money for rulebook sales and determination of rulebook and supplement costs per copy. (This is to be done following a consultation with the Secretary and is subject to approval by the War Council.)
- Maintenance of treasury bookkeeping.
- Collection of membership fees and dues at all events.
- Disbursement of Funds:
- Purchase of any materials needed for organizational activities.
- Funds for publishing and purchase of special items may be advanced to organization members on occasion, but these members are responsible for providing a valid receipt and any change to the Treasurer. Any member purchasing supplies for the organization with private funds must produce a valid receipt in order to be reimbursed
- Shall provide a written report of income and expenditures to the Board of Directors and the War Council on request.
- Liaison with the any governmental body concerned with the collection of fees.
The Magistrate’s responsibilities and authority are as follows:
- Chairman of the War Council.
- Setting War Council meeting agendas.
- Running each officially sponsored activity for the organization’s membership. The Magistrate must appoint the following Officials pending the approval of the War Council:
- Head Weapons Checker(s)
- Head Costume Checker(s)
- Head Armor Checker(s)
- Event Sponsor(s)
- Head Herald(s) (i.e., referees)
- Review and determination of legitimate Active Unit status.
- “Active” units shall be defined as Units which have:
- Fielded four or more members (participants who have actively participated in at least six Dagorhir Aratari battles in the previous twelve months prior to the time the unit is considered is granted Voting Status on the War Council.
- Have a Unit Banner/Standard, which is displayed at Dagorhir Aratari battles.
- Registered a written Unit History/Description with the Magistrate.
- Requested that they be considered for “Active Unit Status” from the Magistrate (see below).
- Attended at least two sessions of the War Council in a “speaking only” (non- voting) status to learn how the War Council operates and to demonstrate their interest in joining to the other Units represented on the War Council.
- For new or inactive Units to be officially recognized as Active Units and gain War Council voting rights, they must request that the Magistrate evaluate their attendance records and determine their Unit status. The Magistrate will report the results of the evaluation to the Unit and the War Council, at the event following the request.
- For individuals to count as members of a given Unit, they must register as members of that Unit at battle check-in.
- Individuals may change Units, but may never count as a member of more then one Unit during the same period of time (e.g., one member can not count toward Unit A’s membership one month; toward Unit B’s membership the next month, and then count again toward Unit A’s membership the third month).
- Final interpretation of these Bylaws.
The War Council
- The War Council consists of two representatives from each active unit in the organization. These shall be known as Representatives.
- All units must decide on two members for duty on the War Council. Each unit represented on the War Council shall have two votes, whether both representatives are present or not.
- Two-thirds of the active units’ Representatives must be present for a quorum to exist and for the War Council to legitimately take action.
- The Magistrate will chair all War Council meetings. In his/her absence, a Representative, elected by a majority vote of the war council may chair the meeting.
- The Magistrate may only vote if there is a tie.
- The War Council shall meet once a month unless business dictates otherwise.
- The War Council will be responsible for smooth flow of the organization’s activities.
- The Representatives shall actively pursue enforcement of the Dagorhir Aratari rules on the field of play and ensure that events are adequately staffed (i.e., the Representatives will ensure that their Units will provide Heralds and other event staff as needed).
- The Representatives shall meet and discuss possible solutions to any problems with game activities.
- The War Council will decide the dates and locations of events. The Magistrate will propose a schedule to the War Council in the summer, for the following calendar year. The Board of Directors will receive a copy of the schedule once it is finalized.
- The War Council approves Officials appointed by the Magistrate.
- The War Council shall be responsible for the creation and review of organization rules.
- All new rule changes shall be incorporated twice a year: on March 1 and September 1 of each year. The War Council will still meet to discuss and vote on topics throughout the year, but rules passed by the War Council and Board of Directors may not take effect until the dates listed above. The exception to this will be safety rules and rules that effect the running of the organization and its activities. These shall be instituted immediately upon approval by both the War Council and the Board of Directors. Every proposed rule must be written properly with a description and explanation. No rule may be proposed and voted on in the same regular meeting of the War Council. The exception to this will be safety rules and rules that effect the running of the organization and its activities. These shall be instituted immediately upon approval by both the War Council and the Board of Directors.
- All new rules and rule changes must first pass the War Council by a majority vote before it can be sent to Board of Directors for approval.
- The War Council may override a Board veto with a three-quarters majority vote.
- The War Council shall nominate candidates for positions on the Board of Directors. The Representatives on the War Council shall vote for these candidates.
- The War Council must approve any membership fees, dues, or change in cost of publications that are proposed by the Treasurer.
- The War Council will be responsible for the initiation of any needed disciplinary action. The affected party may appeal the disciplinary decision of the War Council to the Board of Directors, who will act as “court of last appeal.”
- The War Council is responsible for electing one Representative to serve at Ragnarok War Council meetings.
Amendments to these Bylaws
The War Council or any member of the Board of Directors may propose amendments to these bylaws.
- The proposed amendments must be submitted to the War Council and the Board of Directors.
- For a proposed amendment to pass the War Council must approve the amendments by a 3/4-majority vote and the Board of Directors must approve the amendments by a 4/5-majority vote.
ADDENDA TO THE DBGA BYLAWS
These addenda were added to the DBGA Bylaws with the specific intent of preventing future “hostile takeovers” of Dagorhir’s intellectual property, as was attempted in 2001. By including these policies in the DBGA bylaws, we are protecting Dagorhir’s intellectual property into the future. It requires a supermajority of both the AWC and the Board of Directors to make a change to the Bylaws; thus it’s nearly impossible for any individual or cabal to force through a change that is BAD for the game.
Management and ownership of the Dagorhir National and Aratari websites shall remain strictly under DBGA. DBGA officers are encouraged to utilize the energies and talents of volunteer staff from Dagorhir Aratari and other chapters, but under no circumstances may cede management or ownership of the sites and URLs to any other entity.
This Homepage is dedicated to Dagorhir Battle Games. In the image of the original Dagorhir concept, our group contains members with both historical interests and fantasy interests. Very special thanks to the many dedicated Dagorhir members whose hard work and dedication have contributed to the success of this website and of our game.
This site copyrighted © 2001 by the non-profit organization Dagorhir Battle Game Association, Inc. See copyright info here. All pictures and other materials were obtained through approved channels or from the public domain and are not intended to infringe any copyrights. This document may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written permission of Dagorhir Battle Game Association, Inc. or its elected officials.
BULLETIN BOARD RULES
Welcome to the new Dagorhir Board. We hope you enjoy your stay here. Please take time to read the guidelines below. Remember that the purpose of the Bulletin Board is the distribution and sharing of information, and to promote and help Dagorhir and its members. Anything that doesn’t fulfill the criteria doesn’t belong here. Personal attacks and/or offensive messages will be removed. Topics that reflect poorly on Dagorhir members or groups, or divisive topics and/or topics disruptive to the fabric of Dagorhir shouldn’t be posted on this board, and will be removed. This Board is one of Dagorhir’s prime points of contact with the public, and with future members of Dagorhir. Keep the discussion to Dagorhir and related topics, i.e., not other games or LARPs or non-Dagorhir events held by non- Dagorhir organizations.
NOTE: Due to misuse and spam by third parties, participants are not allowed to post their email address in messages or in their signature lines. However, Chapter leaders and other responsible
parties may post their @Dagorhir.com e-mail addresses to encourage communications with their Chapter.
BANNING INDIVIDUALS FROM DAGORHIR EVENTS
Per the guidance in the Dagorhir Handbook and the Manual of Arms, DBGA reserves the right to eject or exclude individuals from Dagorhir events for the following reasons:
- Violating local, county, state, or federal laws that impact Dagorhir or Dagorhir events, including but not limited to violations that endanger the safety of Dagorhir members, spectators, or bystanders; violations of intellectual property rights; destruction of property, etc.
- Endangering the safety of persons or property, including actions demonstrating intent to cause actual injuries or harm on the Dagorhir battlefield.
- Endangering Dagorhir’s ability to use land or equipment.
- Abusive language or other behavior unbecoming of a Dagorhir member (applying a “reasonable person” standard).
- Disobeying the Dagorhir-related requests and instructions of those in charge of events.
DAGORHIR CHAPTER QUALIFICATIONS
To be a Dagorhir Chapter, the Administrators of the prospective Chapter must submit a signed, notarized contract to DBGA.